The Spring Lake District Library serves as a living room, an office, a school, and a playroom, all at the same time. We have more demand than ever for quiet meeting spaces, small group meeting rooms, and space to spread out, especially for kids.
We have three main goals for the Library Refresh.
- Transform the children’s section into a flexible space to inspire imagination and creativity.
- Create more quiet and private spaces for solo work, group work, and smaller meetings.
- Reorient the front desk so staff can easily welcome patrons as they come in.
Transform the children’s section into a flexible space to inspire imagination and creativity.
- Create a new entrance to the children’s section.
- Create a larger play area in the children’s section to accommodate more families.
- Add a small stage in the children’s section for larger storytimes, children’s programs, and creative play.
- Transform the Storytime Room into a Makerspace/STEM room for messy crafts, projects, and experiments.
- Extend the existing patio to incorporate a children’s outdoor space.
Create more quiet and private spaces for solo work, group work, and smaller meetings.
6. Add a flex room next to the teen space, which can be used as a gaming or meeting room.
7. Add several small meeting rooms that fit1-4 people.
8. Rearrange the adult areas to accommodate more varied types of seating – desks, comfy couches, armchairs, café tables.
Reorient the front desk so staff can easily welcome patrons as they come in.
9. Move the front desk to face east.
Fundraising Goal – $675,000
The SLDL Board set aside some funds each year for future renovations. As a result, the Library Board has already saved about 65% of the amount needed. Your generous gift will allow us to update the library building to remain relevant to the patrons we serve.
Ways to give
- Give online at the Grand Haven Area Community Foundation to the Spring Lake District Library Renovation Fund.
- Write a check made out to the Grand Haven Area Community Foundation and write “SLDL Renovation Fund” in the memo.
Grand Haven Area Community Foundation
1 S. Harbor Drive, Suite 2
Grand Haven, MI 49417
- Donate in person at the library.
Donations over $500 will get special recognition in the form of an engraved leaf on the donor tree in the library lobby in the donor’s name or in memory of a loved one.
- $500 to $1,999 – Green Leaf
- $2,000 to $4,999 – Bronze Leaf
- $5,000 and above – Platinum Leaf
Select naming rights and recognition opportunities are available for gifts of $10,000 and above.
What is the timeline for the Refresh?
Assuming we raise the funds that we need, we anticipate a Fall 2023 start date.
How much will this cost?
To make the changes we have planned, the estimate is a little less than $1.8 million dollars.
Will my taxes go up to pay for this?
No. The Library Board is very firm that there will not be a bond or a millage to pay for this project.
Then, how will it be paid for?
Knowing this day would come eventually, the Library Board put money aside each year. As a result, they have saved $1.1 million dollars to commit to this project. The additional $675,000 needed will be raised by private donations, corporate donations, and grants. We will need the community’s help and commitment to make this happen.
What if you raise more than your goal of $675,000?
If more money is donated beyond our goal of $675,000, we will get to dream a bit bigger and make even more improvements to our space.