The Spring Lake Township Cemetery was founded in about 1835 under the name Oakwood Cemetery.  The Township board changed the name in 1937.

Located at 17181 N. Fruitport Road in Spring Lake, the older part of the cemetery is on east side of Fruitport Road while the newer is on the west side.  Civil War-era burials are found near the corner of State and Fruitport Roads.

Resources at the Library

 Ledger Books: cemetery records at SLDL span 1835-1984.

Information on lot sales, burials, plot maps, and headstone inscriptions are separated into the Old (East) and New (West) Sections

Older headstones were often made of sandstone, which is susceptible to severe weathering and can often be difficult to read. On July 18, 1942, headstone inscriptions were copied by Mrs. E.P. Slooter, Mrs. John J. Mikula, Mrs. Earl P. Price and Mrs. Merrick Hanchett from the Old (East) Section. They were copied on October 2 of the same year by Mrs. E.P. Slooter, Ms. John J. Mikula, Mrs. John Kramer, Mrs. Allan B. Ayers and Mrs. R.F. Keeler from the New (West) Section.


Online Cemetery Resources

Spring Lake Cemetery Index

Ottawa County Cemetery Mapping Tool

Ottawa County Cemetery Index

Cemetery and Grand Haven Tribune (1891-2000) Obituary Search from Loutit Library

Spring Lake Township Cemetery