Teen Tech Week is coming to Spring Lake District Library on March 9-15th! It’s a time for teens to geek out at the library while exploring new technology or familiarizing themselves with online resources (beyond Wikipedia).
Throughout the week, teens can stop by the Youth Services desk to test themselves on library trivia. Working together and looking up answers is highly encouraged, and right answers will win a sweet treat!
Need a change of scene while studying for high school or middle school exams? Teens are invited to come study by themselves or in groups at our Exam Crams! We’ve having two during exams – the first is Sunday March 9th from 2pm to 4:30pm and then on Tuesday March 11 from 5pm-7pm. If teens bring their brains and books, we’ll provide snacks.
On Thursday March 13, we’ll be having a Teen DIY Spa Day at 4pm. After a long winter of snow and cold, kids aged 10-18 are invited to learn how to make their own lip balm and sugar scrub to help recuperate for spring.
We’re also hosting a Super Smash Bros. Tournament on Wednesday March 19 at 3:30pm! Ages 10-18 are encouraged to sign up to battle each other on the library’s big screens by Friday, March 14th. Or if battling isn’t their style, they can stop by to cheer their friends on on the 19th.
What other things can teens do to celebrate technology this week (from http://teentechweek.ning.com/)?
- Download an ebook or audiobook from your library.
- Visit your library’s webpage.
- Blog about a library book or program.
- Try out a book-focused site like GoodReads, LibraryThing or Shelfari.
- Create a soundtrack or book trailer for your favorite book.
- Ask your librarian to recommend a nonfiction book on an area of technology that interests you.
- Add something to an article on Wikipedia.
- Set up a podcast for a group or club you belong to. (Click the link to check out YALSA’s podcasts!)
- Many young adult authors welcome email from their readers many have their own websites, blogs, and Twitter/Facebook accounts. Why not send them a message in honor of Teen Tech Week?
- Check out some DVDs, or CDs from your library.
- Start a Teen Tech Club at your school or public library.
- Read and contribute to a blog about technology.
- Watch some anime or start an anime club at your library.
- Create a YouTube or Animoto video about your library or a favorite book.
- Download a newspaper article from the day you were born from an electronic database.
- Volunteer to help clean the computers and media at your library.
- Volunteer to tutor library customers who are new to using computers.
- Learn how to DJ music or record music with a computer.
- Search in a biography database for an article about your favorite musician.
- Learn how to use some new software.
- Take a class on graphic design or digital photography.
- Create a database of something you want to organize.
- Start a Twitter, Tumblr, or Flickr account.
- Check out an eReader or Playaway audio book from the library.